This formulation was designed to provide broad spectrum (SPF/PFA <3) label SPF 30 performance. SolaStay® S1 provides very rapid and efficient excited state quenching of Avobenzone, protecting it from photodegradation. SolaStay® S1 also mitigates the photocatalytic and reactive oxygen species generating activities of the oxide to improve sunscreen performance. HallBrite® BHB contributes to UV filter solubility and enhances product feel. This formulation was subjected to in vitro analysis and delivered SPF ~35 (30), PFA (PPD) ~19 performance with critical wavelength 380 nm.
|Sequence||Trade Name||INCI Name||%|
|A||SolaStay® S1*||Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene||2.00|
|Ethylhexyl Salicylate [Octisalate]||5.00|
|HALLBRITE® BHB*||Butyloctyl Salicylate||5.00|
|C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate||10.00|
|B||Titanium Dioxide [Titanium Dioxide], Aluminum Hydroxide (60 nm primary particle size)||3.00|
|Tri-C14-15 Alkyl Citrate||1.50|
|Ceteareth-25, Disodium Ethylene Dicocamide PEG-15 Disulfate||3.00|
|D||Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane [Avobenzone]||2.40|
|E||Water (Aqua) (deionized)||Up to 100|
|Xanthan Gum (pharma grade)||0.20|
|G||Water (Aqua) (deionized)||9.60|
|Microcrystalline Cellulose, Cellulose Gum||0.40|
|Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate||1.50|
Formula No. JZ8-175
1. To a secondary vessel add phase A, start mixing, add phase B to phase A, and heat phase AB to 70°C.
2. Add phase C ingredients to phase AB with continued mixing, then, add phase D to phase ABC and mix
until completely dissolved.
3. Add liquids from phase E to the main vessel, dissolve Disodium EDTA, then add Xanthan Gum and mix
until fully incorporated.
4. Start heating phase E to 70°C.
5. With both phases are homogeneous and at temperature, add oil phase ABCD to water phase E with
6. After mixing for five minutes, start cooling and homogenize until batch reaches 55°C (or 3 minutes),
then return to prop mixing with continued cooling.
7. At 45°C or lower, add phase F, and very slowly add premix of phase G and continue mixing for 20
8. Add phase H and mix well. Replace any water lost to evaporation and mix batch until smooth.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.